Thursday, November 26, 2009

Be Grateful

Americans all over the world will gather today with family and friends for a Thanksgiving celebration. At our house Thanksgiving is a big deal. Today my wife Sandra and I will play hosts to 22 people. It will be a special day! Last summer Sandra lost her sister Nancy. She passed away after a long bout with Alzheimer’s. Nancy was a big part of our Thanksgiving Days over the years and in many ways, this Thanksgiving is a tribute to her. We will also welcome Sandra’s Canadian cousins and their families who are traveling from Quebec. We haven’t seen them in almost 20 years so it will be a an emotional reunion. Steve my brother-in-law will be here with his two children Michael and Samantha. Nancy’s and our good friends, Mary and Dave will be here as well. Sandra’s two brothers, Cliff and Matt are coming in from New Jersey and Massachusetts and my mom and step-dad will be making the trek from Cape Cod. I am looking forward to the stories, hugs and tiers!

To me thanksgiving is an opportunity to reflect and thank those around us who have made a difference in my life. Regardless of the hurdles and challenges I face, I know there are many whose obstacles are much greater than mine. As far as I’m concerned, I’m the luckiest man alive. I was born in communist Poland, lost my dad at the age of 6 and had a mother strong enough and smart enough to realize that a life in the States will be the best for her family. She took my sister and me to England where we lived in a one room apartment sharing a kitchen and a bathroom with six other families. She was the only PHD in Chemistry who worked as a semesters during the day and a waitress at a restaurant at night. We were there on a visitor’s visa so getting a job in her field was impossible. We stayed in London for a year and a half before a job opportunity at the Woods Hole Oceanographic in the US presented itself to my mom. In February of 1976 we left Europe for America, the land of opportunity! Where money grows on trees and the streets are paved with gold! I believed that then and I believe it now!

Besides my mom, I appreciate the many mentors who have helped me shape my life and career! My soccer coaches throughout high school and college were a big part of my growth. They taught me the value of skill development, self improvement and team work. I’m grateful for many of my bosses who helped me grow and develop as a business man and leader. Many of them gave me tasks that would challenge me, but I could handle. I had numerous customers who cared about me enough to point out some of the shortcomings I had as a sales rep and manager. I cherish the many friendships I have developed over the years with people who would give me the shirt of their backs! I can only hope I would do the same for them.

This year was a tough year for many. In our case, it was one with several challenges. I took on a new job with a competitor and left a company I was with for over 21 years. It was a leap of faith in probably the toughest of economic circumstances. Sandra has been alone with the kids during the weekdays since the middle of June trying to sell our home and juggling all of the family matters alone. I love my family greatly. Together with Nancy’s passing it’s been a very difficult year for Sandra. I don’t have to look too far to find what to be thankful for. My wife has always has been the best thing that’s ever happened to me! Although I may not show it as much as I should, I appreciate her most of all!

No comments: